21 May 2017

Pollen and heat

Today I headed out for a morning ride with Jerome. I wanted to do the Tsukui / Otarumi loop.

It was HOT today, at least 30 degrees C, maybe hottest day of the year so far in Tokyo. But I drank huge amounts of water, and the heat was manageable.

But by the time I got out of town, my hay fever was really kicking in -- eyes watering, face itchy. I have been off any anti-histamine since March and managed okay, even on the Tohoku trip over GW. But today, it hit me. What was the pollen source? Well, my distress increased as we rode the Tank Road around Machida toward Lake Tsukui.  I noticed none of the grasses have been cut. No wonder.
grasses all along the Tank Road
I doused my head with water just past the end of the Tank Road, and again at a convenience store nearer Tsukui, then turned around and came home.  I took more urban roads home, and made it back to Setagaya, and an anti-histamine, eye drops and a nice shower, without trouble.

Despite the pollen distress, I set a personal record (on Strava) for my return down Onekansen Doro. Why? Well, I realize that the "segment" starts just at the traffic signal by Tamasakai Ave (near the Starbucks at the far end of Onekana), so when I usually ride back from the Tank Road entrance, ... I am not completing the Strava segment. 


Around 85 kms, so a bit over 150 for the weekend. Not bad, and my weight is finally, slowly, dropping.

No comments: